FreedomGPT is an open-source AI language model that can generate text, translate languages, and answer questions. It is similar to ChatGPT but has a key difference: you can run it locally on your device. This means your conversations and everything you input into the model do not leave your computer. You can use FreedomGPT to access the world’s knowledge even if you are completely offline.
In this article, I will explain what FreedomGPT is, how it works, its capabilities and limitations, and how you can get started using it.
What is an AI language model?
An AI language model is a computer program that can learn from large amounts of text data and generate new text based on the patterns it finds. For example, if you give an AI language model a sentence like “The sky is”, it might complete it with “blue,” “cloudy,” or “falling”. An AI language model can also answer questions, translate languages, summarize texts, and more.
AI language models are trained on huge text datasets from various sources, such as books, websites, social media posts, etc. The more data they have, the better they can learn and perform. Today’s most advanced AI language models are GPT-4 by OpenAI and New Bing by Microsoft.
How does FreedomGPT work?
FreedomGPT is based on GPT-2, a smaller and older version of GPT-3. GPT-2 was released by OpenAI in 2019 as an open-source project that anyone can use and modify. It uses GPT-2 as its core engine and adds a chat-based interface allowing users to interact easily with the model.
FreedomGPT lets users select an open-source model and offers an intuitive chat-based interface, like ChatGPT. When you give it a prompt, your input is fed through your chosen model and outputted as a response from the AI. You can ask it anything you want, as long as it is self-contained in terms of context.
FreedomGPT runs locally on your device using a desktop app you can download for Windows or Mac. The app uses React and Electron to create a user-friendly interface that executes the FreedomGPT LLM (Large Language Model) offline and privately on your machine. You do not need an internet connection to use it once you have downloaded the app and the model.
What are the capabilities of FreedomGPT?
FreedomGPT has many capabilities that make it a useful and fun tool. Some of them are:
- Text generation: You can give FreedomGPT any text prompt to generate more text based on it. For example, you can give it the beginning of a story, and it will continue it for you.
- Question answering: You can ask it any question, and it will try to answer it based on its knowledge. For example, you can ask it, “Who is the president of Pakistan?” and it will reply with “Imran Khan”.
- Language translation: You can ask FreedomGPT to translate any text from one language to another. For example, you can ask it, “How do you say hello in Urdu?” and it will reply with “آپ کیسے ہیں؟”.
- Text summarization: You can ask it to summarize any text for you. For example, you can give it a long article and ask it to give you the main points in a few sentences.
- And more: You can also use FreedomGPT for other tasks such as writing poems, lyrics, jokes, code, etc.
What are the limitations of FreedomGPT?
FreedomGPT could be better and has some limitations you should know. Some of them are:
- Accuracy: FreedomGPT is only sometimes accurate or reliable in its answers or outputs. It may generate nonsensical, irrelevant, biased, offensive, or false text. It would help if you did not trust it unthinkingly or use it for serious purposes.
- Chat capabilities: FreedomGPT could better maintain a coherent or consistent conversation with the user. It may need to remember what was said before or change the topic randomly. Keep your questions self-contained in context and avoid long or complex dialogues.
- Power: FreedomGPT is nowhere near as powerful as ChatGPT or GPT-3 regarding the amount of data it has learned from or the quality of its outputs. It may need help with some tasks or languages poorly represented in its training data.
How to get started with FreedomGPT?
If you want to try FreedomGPT for yourself, you can follow these steps:
- Download the app: Go to https://freedomgpt.com/ and download the FreedomGPT desktop app for your Windows or Mac device. You can also join the waitlist for the Intel Mac version if you have one.
- Download the model: After installing the app, you must download the open-source model you want to use. You can choose from several models that vary in size and performance. The larger the model, the better it will perform, but the more space it will take on your device and the longer it will take to download.
- Start chatting: Once you have downloaded the model, you can chat with it. You can type anything in the input box and press enter to send it to the model. You will see the response from the AI in the output box. You can also use voice input and output if you prefer.
FreedomGPT is an open-source AI language model that generates text, translates languages, and answers questions. You can run it locally using a desktop app that works offline and privately. It has many capabilities and limitations, so you should use it cautiously and curiously. If you want to join the FreedomGPT movement as a user, tester, or code contributor, visit https://freedomgpt.com/ and download the app today. Have fun chatting with FreedomGPT!
You might also be interested in Visual ChatGPT: An AI-powered chatbot that can generate images!